A single device able to harness solar or wind energy or both in a seaworthy manner.
Comprising a unique pivotally mounted airfoil and joint it is attached in such a way as to be able to angle to the sun and/or the wind to harness solar power and sail, folding away when not in use. Can be used singly sail or in multiples.
Controlled by software that operates the sail automatically, it tracks the sun for optimal solar and the wind for optimal sail power. Depending on weather conditions, these two sources are used simultaneously or singularly.
SolarSailing is a revolutionary new way of quiet, free motor sailing is an exciting breakthrough for sailors. When both sun and wind are present together the sail has the ability to ’motorsail’ or ‘solarsail’ – ie harness a positive feedback loop between true wind and relatve wind increased using solar power.
- Two sources of energy from one device
- Engineered and DNV approved for 44 knots of wind with 100% margin of safety
- 5%- 100% fuel saving depending on conditions and application
- Average capital cost equal to 10%-15% of cost of vessel
- Return on investment of 2 -4 years depending on application
- Patented by SolarSailor in 26 countries.
The Sydney SolarSailor and Marjorie K
A CGI demonstration of wings on the SolarSailor Sydney